THE WINTER MARKET GARDENER
Author: Jean-Martin Fortier, Catherine Sylvestre
Profitable winter market gardening – the complete practical guide to growing vegetables year-round in northern climates for local markets
Many small farms shut down during the dark winter months. Yet with the right techniques, equipment, and cultivars, year-round growing can produce the highest quality and tastiest fresh local vegetables, all while banking a profit.
Building on years of research, experimentation, and collaboration, The Winter Market Gardener is a beautifully illustrated practical guide to winter vegetable production for small farmers growing in northern climates. Coverage includes:
- Unique aspects of year-round vegetable production, including superior flavor and the promotion of seasonality in eating
- Dozens of detailed vegetable profiles featuring recommended cultivars and crop-specific tips and techniques for bountiful winter harvests
- Details for calculating optimal seeding dates, crop spacing, care, pest management, weed control, and harvesting
- Selecting shelters for your crops and climate, including row covers, low tunnels, caterpillar tunnels, and high tunnels
- The costs and benefits of heated versus unheated greenhouses
- Tool selection and use for efficiency
- Winter storage crops and successful autumn growing
- Crop planning details for winter-season production.
Whether you are an experienced farmer or market grower, enthusiastic amateur, or committed consumer, The Winter Market Gardener will excite, inspire, and empower you to embrace the seasons and work with nature to produce and enjoy superior-quality local vegetables all year.