CHICKEN KEEPING PURE AND SIMPLE
Author: Nikki Husted
Get started keeping chickens in your own backyard with this down-to-earth guide by popular chicken-fluencer Nikki Husted (@purelychickens).
Keeping chickens can look almost glamorous online. It’s all beautiful chickens, cute baby chicks, and coops that look nice enough to spend the night in. The reality is that keeping chickens is rewarding—but also a lot of work and, well, poop cleanup. If you follow her online, you already know that Nikki shares the good, the bad, and the ugly of this popular hobby. In her first book, she remains unfiltered while she shares the essential techniques and helpful stories from her own experience with backyard chickens. That’s right: you can learn from her own successes and mistakes!
Chicken Keeping Pure and Simple addresses:
- Where to start: What are the rules for keeping chickens in your area? What do you need to get started? How many chickens do you need? (Be wary of chicken math!) And more considerations to both stoke and temper your excitement.
- Giving chickens what they need: There are serious things you should consider before you start raising your chickens, from monthly costs to time requirements. Do you have what it takes?
- Eggs, chicks, pullets, and hens: Deciding between eggs, chicks, pullets, or hens as your starting point is about more than just cute baby chicks (though don’t we all love cute baby chicks?).
- The bonding process: Learn how to raise your chickens and integrate them with your family, including kids!
- What to do with all the eggs: A handful of recipes for making the most of your bounty, including water glass eggs, pickled eggs, and a few family favorites for breakfast and dinner.
- All about the coop: How to set up and maintain a coop, including the process of cleaning.
- Medical needs: Dealing with common injuries, common pests/parasites, and advice from a vet.
With instructive photos and helpful tips throughout, this is the perfect book whether you're just getting started with chickens or still dreaming of your first flock!