Country living can be extremely rewarding but also intense. With this premium country living collection, you’ll find time-tested tips and guidance for becoming a country living expert yourself!
This set includes:
Grit Premium Issue: Guide to Frugal Country Living, Winter 2016
Grit Premium Issue: Guide to Chickens
- Best of Grit, Winter 2015
Grit Premium: Guide to Frugal Country Living, Winter 2016
Grit has compiled expertly written tips on thriving on less out where the pavement ends. The Grit Premium Issue: Guide to Frugal Country Living features 112 pages of articles that help you live a more sustainable lifestyle. Inside, you’ll find how to create your own home-based business, heat the homestead with wood, build a hoop house, feed a flock of chickens easily, learn more about cast-iron cookware, make soap, and so on much more.
Learn how a few extra seed-saving steps, and simple ones at that, will keep your garden growing next year. When considering a biomass system to heat your home or shop, read everything you need to know. Discover how reclaimed-lumber raised beds let you garden without the toil of tilling. Learn the best homemade cleaning recipes, and avoid harmful chemicals while saving money.
More articles include:
- Farmhouse Kitchen Renovation – For about $1,000, you can give your kitchen area an inspired and refreshing face-lift.
- Salvaging Our Past – Reuse and repurpose items from the junk pile or antique shop for unique, low-budget farmstead furnishings.
- Build a Passive Solar Greenhouse – Grow vegetables anywhere in any season in these climate-optimized, zero-energy-input greenhouses.
- How to Cook Wild Game Meat – Learn the techniques to cook wild game meat for the best results, and try one of these five recipes for big and small game and wild fowl.
- Save Money with Home-Canned Foods – The pursuit of food independence is a paying proposition.
Grit Premium: Guide to Chickens
Grit has created more than six editions of its Guide to Chickens. All have been extremely popular with readers and full of valuable, expertly-written articles on raising and maintaining a healthy backyard flock. Now, the editors have compiled the best of the best chicken articles into one premium issue! There are more than 111 tips for raising the best poultry flock, advice from experienced flock owners, more than 27 egg and meat recipes, information on heritage chicken breeds, a look at the pros and cons of coop lights, and details on other poultry (such as quail and ducks), and so much more.
More articles include:
- Feed Your Flock to Boost Omega-3s – Three poultry management rules will help you provide healthful, omega-3-maximized eggs and meat for your family and customers.
- When Will My Chickens Lay Eggs? – What you need to know to maximize your hens’ output and improve the nutrition of their eggs.
- The Magic Egg – A hen’s work is never done; learn how she produces a perfect, farm-fresh egg.
- Hot Weather, Cool Chickens – Tips from a Texas poultry owner on how to keep the flock comfortable in the sweltering heat.
- Treating and Preventing Lice on Chickens – Learn how to identify the presence of lice to avoid an infestation in your chicken flock.
- What to Consider Before Building a Coop – You’ll need to ask yourself a few questions before purchasing a flock of chickens; where the coop will be located is just the start.
- Best Chicken Breeds for Backyard Flocks – Our latest survey results can help you choose the best chickens for eggs, meat, temperament, and more.
The Best of Grit, Winter 2015
This first Best of Grit edition covers various topics, including the best articles on gardening, comfort food recipes, livestock, tools and equipment, do-it-yourself projects, wildlife, and country life.
Nearly 30 articles make up this 113-page guide. Read how to earn a living on a farm by growing vegetables and raising animals for the market. Discover an easy, no-knead artisan bread recipe guaranteed to make everyone a baker. Learn how to hatch a flock with insider tips on incubating eggs. Enjoy your best hunting season yet by following our guide to hunting deer, turkeys, dove, pheasant, and more.
Other articles include:
- How Much Does a Garden Really Grow? – How one gardener cut nearly $50 off her grocery bill with suburban vegetable gardening.
- Pizza Perfection – Forget takeout and turn your kitchen into a pizzeria.
- Farming the Wind – Landowners all over the United States have discovered a new crop that’s a breeze to cash in on.
- Nature’s Hidden Language – Watching for signs of wildlife leads to amazing finds in the animal kingdom.
- Field Guide to Farmers and Ranchers – Listen to this lingo and look in their trucker to be sure.